Use Viber on your Debian 8 jessie by downloading Viber for Linux DEB file from this link. Choose “Viber Debian”.
- Say you’ve downloaded Viber in your Downloads folder. Open terminal and execute the following command to change the working directory to Downloads.
- Now execute the following command to install Viber:
dpkg -i viber.deb
- You’ll be prompted with an error message saying something like this, “This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin “xcb”. Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, wayland-egl, wayland, xcb. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. Aborted”
- Now execute the following command to make Viber work:
apt-get install libxcb-xkb1 libxcb-icccm4 libxcb-image0 libxcb-render-util0
- Viber would work as expected now!
Use Skype for Linux Alpha on Debian 8 jessie by downloading it from this link.
- Say, you’ve downloaded it in your Downloads folder. Now open terminal and execute the following command:
- Execute the following command to install downloaded Skype for Linux Alpha DEB file:
dpkg -i skypeforlinux-64-alpha.deb
- This would install Skype interrupted by an error. In that case execute the following:
apt-get -f install
- This would solve the problem and you’d be able to use Skype as intended.
My Debian 8 jessie Xfce desktop suddenly became blank after a restart. No icon was there on the desktop. Neither did the right-click menu worked. I removed the cache and the problem was thus solved.
Go to virtual console by pressing Ctrl+Alt+1 from the keyboard. You’ll be prompted for your username and password.
After logging in, execute the following commands one after another.
rm -rf sessions
Now execute the following command to switch to your graphical console.
Your problem should be solved by now!