You can stop your Facebook profile picture changes from appearing in your Friends’ newsfeed following the steps below:
- Right after you’ve changed your Facebook profile picture, click on View Activity Log from your Facebook Timeline. View Activity Log resides in the lower right side of your cover photo.
- You can see your updated profile picture as the latest activity in your Activity Log. Click on the visibility button (should be a ‘globe sign’ to indicate ‘Public’) and change the visibility to Only me.
Changing this to Only me would prevent your profile picture changes from appearing in your Friends’ newsfeed.
Also, do the following to hide your profile picture changes from your Timeline:
- See the profile picture changes post in your Timeline? Click on the down arrow button beside it and select Hide from Timeline.
This would hide this post from your Timeline.
Google’s search box in Opera browsers’ speed dial page bugs me. You can remove Google’s search box with this straightforward way that follows:
- While in Opera browser, press Alt+P from the keyboard to open the Settings page.
- The cursor is normally blinks in the search box. Click in any whitespace/empty area.
- Now press the following buttons from the keyboard as mentioned sequentially: Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right b a
- These key combination would open a pop-up dialog box for Power user settings.
- When prompted, select “I understand, proceed”
- Now go to Browser from left side bar.
- Scroll down until you find “Hide the search box in Speed Dial”
- Select this and you’d notice Google’s search bar is gone!
You can install the latest stable release of the Opera browser in Debian stable using the steps that follows:
- Download latest Opera stable release (the last one in the list) from this link.Select the latest release and download the deb file for your processor architecture, e.g. amd64 for 64-bit or i386 for 32-bit.
- Say, you’ve downloaded the deb file in your Downloads directory. Now, go to that directory and open terminal there.
- While in the same directory where Opera’s deb file resides, execute the following command to install Opera in Debian:
dpkg -i opera-stable_*_amd64.deb
- This would install Opera. Now you might need to add the missing gpg key in your system. You can add the gpg key using the following command:
wget -O - http://deb.opera.com/archive.key | apt-key add -
- This would add the missing gpg key for Opera.
Latest Opera browser’s stable release is now installed in your Debian system.
Viber is available for Linux desktop. You can use Viber in Xubuntu 16.10 by following the steps below:
- Download Viber Debian from this link.
- Go to the directory where you’ve downloaded Viber .DEB file.
- Open terminal in that directory and execute the following command:
dpkg -i viber.deb
- Viber is now installed on your system. But you might need libqt5gui5 package for Viber to work properly. Open terminal and execute the following command:
sudo apt-get install libqt5gui5
- You can now find Viber in your WhiskerMenu > Internet. Open Viber, and when prompted, use your mobile’s Viber app to authenticate.
Use Viber on your Debian 8 jessie by downloading Viber for Linux DEB file from this link. Choose “Viber Debian”.
- Say you’ve downloaded Viber in your Downloads folder. Open terminal and execute the following command to change the working directory to Downloads.
- Now execute the following command to install Viber:
dpkg -i viber.deb
- You’ll be prompted with an error message saying something like this, “This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin “xcb”. Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, wayland-egl, wayland, xcb. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. Aborted”
- Now execute the following command to make Viber work:
apt-get install libxcb-xkb1 libxcb-icccm4 libxcb-image0 libxcb-render-util0
- Viber would work as expected now!
Use Skype for Linux Alpha on Debian 8 jessie by downloading it from this link.
- Say, you’ve downloaded it in your Downloads folder. Now open terminal and execute the following command:
- Execute the following command to install downloaded Skype for Linux Alpha DEB file:
dpkg -i skypeforlinux-64-alpha.deb
- This would install Skype interrupted by an error. In that case execute the following:
apt-get -f install
- This would solve the problem and you’d be able to use Skype as intended.
My Debian 8 jessie Xfce desktop suddenly became blank after a restart. No icon was there on the desktop. Neither did the right-click menu worked. I removed the cache and the problem was thus solved.
Go to virtual console by pressing Ctrl+Alt+1 from the keyboard. You’ll be prompted for your username and password.
After logging in, execute the following commands one after another.
rm -rf sessions
Now execute the following command to switch to your graphical console.
Your problem should be solved by now!
Debian 8 “jessie” has googleearth-package which is a utility to automatically build a Debian package of Google Earth. You can install Google Earth on your Debian with the following procedures:
- Skip this if you’re running 32-version of Debian. But if you’re on 64-bit version, then you need to add the multi-architecture support in Debian. For 64-bit Debian, open terminal and execute the following commands one at a time:
dpkg --add-architecture i386
- Now install googleearth-package with the following command:
sudo apt-get install googleearth-package
- Create .deb with the following:
- Now install the .deb file with the following command:
sudo dpkg -i googleearth*.deb
- You might face some dependencies problem. Run the following to solve the dependency problem:
sudo apt-get -f install
This would install Google Earth on your Debian system.